Sunday, April 18, 2010

mistakes


i had no idea this film was based on a book by somerset maugham but it makes perfect sense now. english actress kristen scott thomas was handed a very plum role and she handled it beautifully.
'up at the villa' (2000) has a great cast, a beautiful setting, and a clear message. when war is right around the corner one's sympathies are sure to find a home but when one's sympathies are tainted with selfishness the outcome is not what one imagined. you can watch it this month at your leisure on hulu.com

to quote one of my favorite neil young songs:

It's so hard for me now
But I'll make it somehow,
Though I know I'll never be the same.
Won't you ever change your ways,
It's so hard to make love pay
When you're on the losing end,
And I feel that way again.

photo: jeremy davies and kristen scott thomas

No comments: