Sunday, March 14, 2010

it takes a lot to laugh



Well, I ride on a mailtrain, baby
Can't buy a thrill
Well, I've been up all night, baby
Leanin' on the window sill
Well, if I die on top of the hill
And if I don't make it
You know my baby will- dylan (from 'it takes a lot to laugh')

'I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silent hurt more.' - C.S. Lewis

last night we lost electrical power. so, we lit up all the candles in the place, curled up under the covers trying to forget we had no heat, and slipped a dvd into the computer. lo and behold, it was a true masterpiece!

i am a novice when it comes to the actor lon chaney. last night was my initiation into his genius and it was an amazing initiation at that. the silent film, 'laugh clown laugh' was perfectly poetic. lon was stunning as the man who adopts a little girl and raises her on the road as he goes from town to town with his best friend and their circus act. just around the time she's old enough to step into her ballerina outfit and join the show, she falls in love with a sweet, sincere, and very wealthy man and lon must face the truth of his own love for her.

the costumes were extraordinary, the story was touching, and lon chaney is now nestled on my 'a' list.

photo: lon and loretta

1 comment:

nipper said...

appreciate c.s. lewis quote as a common thread in all the events you shared from your evening! comforting.
hope the power was not out for a long while..