Sunday, July 26, 2009

how green was my valley


director ken loach's 2006 'the wind that shakes the barley' took it's title from an old irish ballad. the film was a triumph, an award winner, and another chance for the sad history of ireland's fight for independence from england to reach more minds. the one word i kept reading about this film was 'pure.' watching countrymen pick up arms in defense is sure to be heartbreaking and bloody. the casting, led by cillian murphy, was super convincing. cillian's eyes are as blue as ireland is green. for all those who would like to see a movie based on history that was embraced by those still very inspired by the events, here you go. after decades of heralded indie offerings, ken hit a home run.

I sat within a valley green
I sat me with my true love
My sad heart strove to choose between
The old love and the new love
The old for her, the new that made
Me think on Ireland dearly
While soft the wind blew down the glen
And shook the golden barley

No comments: