Wednesday, December 14, 2011

beautiful birkin




jane turns 65 today. the british born jane had made some films in the sixties before getting together with france's great musical genius/rude boy serge and settling in france. she sings like a little bird and lights up the screen with a fragile awkwardness that is very alluring. her and serge gainsbourg passed their respective genes down to their daughter charlotte. she too sings like a falling leaf and makes memorable film performances.

the coolest thing about jane is her heart. the famous and coveted 'birkin' bag (which is ridiculously pricey) may have been named after her, but she has wisely found a reasonable role for it to play in her life:

I got Hermès to fork out for my charities once I saw the fortune they were making. A certain amount of money every year goes straight to my charity and it will continue to after my death. This year I was able to [use some of that money] to go to Japan for a benefit concert after the earthquake. We use some of the money to feed the poor people who can’t afford to eat in France. I sold one of my Birkin bags for $163,000 to help the Japanese Red Cross. So that rather trivial piece of heavy luggage has done a lot of good in the world.

photos: jane with serge/the english rose/with charlotte

No comments: