Thursday, July 7, 2011

there's more to the philadelphia story


“It was time to do the scene, and Cary said, ‘George, why don’t we just go ahead? If you don’t like it, we’ll do it again.’ So, without a rehearsal or anything, we started the scene. As I was talking, it hit me that I’d had too much to drink. So, as I explained things to Cary, I hiccuped. In answer to the hiccup, Cary said-out of the clear blue sky-‘Excuse me.’ Well, I sort of said, ‘Umm?’ It was very difficult for me to keep a straight face, because his ad-libbed response had been so beautifully done….Cary had an almost perfect humor.”
James Stewart, from Evenings with Cary Grant

i watched this last night. i hadn't seen it in a long time. hepburn is marvelous. the writing is absolute tops. all the players are outstanding in their interesting roles. to describe cary one would simply drop the 'almost' from james stewart's last sentence.

No comments: