Friday, January 8, 2010

tall drink of water


6'3" to be exact. we all love 'to kill a mockingbird's' atticus finch. the book sings and the film rings very true. here are some interesting facts about gregory peck, the man who brought atticus to the screen:

His character from To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), Atticus Finch, was voted the "Greatest screen Hero of All Time" by the American Film Institute.

In the spring of 1939, Peck skipped graduation at the University of California at Berkeley and, with $160 and a letter of introduction in his pocket, went by train to New York, traveling coach, to embark on his acting career.

He was good friends with Martin Luther King Jr.

(As a presenter at the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) awards ceremony in 1997) It just seems silly to me that something so right and simple has to be fought for at all.

peck quote: 'I just do things I really enjoy. I enjoy acting. When I`m driving to the studio, I sing in the car. I love my work and my wife and my kids and my friends. And I think, `You`re a lucky man, Gregory Peck, a damn lucky man.'`

(On his 1962 Oscar-winning role in To Kill A Mockingbird (1955)) I put everything I had into it, all my feelings and everything I'd learned in 46 years of living, about family life and fathers and children. And my feelings about racial justice and inequality and opportunity.

No comments: